We were established by the Police Service in 1989. Co-located with the National Police Chiefs’ Council (NPCC), we are a police-owned organisation that works to deliver a wide range of innovative and ground-breaking crime prevention and demand reduction initiatives to support the wider UK Police Service, Government and the general public.
We are a not-for-profit organisation, self-funded through its prevention activities. This financial freedom enables us to be agile and to deliver difficult crime and police demand reduction projects within very short time periods.
We have developed into a major catalyst for organisations to work together to reduce and prevent crime, the fear of crime, and create safer communities. Identifying and working with partners is key to our success, with Police CPI building strategic relationships with UK Policing, Government Departments, Standards Authorities, Industry Trade Associations and Academia.
We have close working relationships with NPCC National Leads and Committees, Association of Police and Crime Commissioners, Home Office, Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities, National Protective Security Authority (NPSA), National Counter Terrorism Security Office (NaCTSO), Department for Culture Media and Sport (DCMS), the Department for Science, Innovation and Technology (DSIT), British and European standards authorities, trade associations, test houses, certification bodies, the construction industry, manufacturers and companies involved in security products – both within the UK and those in countries that supply the UK – as well as many other organisations.
We are an operational arm of preventative policing, part of the NPCC Prevention Coordination Committee. As a national crime prevention scheme we have achieved significant successes, with all initiatives in our extensive portfolio designed to keep the public safe from crime and reduce the demand on the police service. Our initiatives include:
- Secured by Design (SBD)
- The Police Crime Prevention Academy
- The Licensing Security Vulnerability Initiative (Licensing SAVI)
- Secured Environments
- The Park Mark Safer Parking Scheme
- The Community Safety Accreditation Scheme (CSAS) and Railway Safety Accreditation Scheme (RSAS)
- Guidance and Policy for Security Systems
- Fraud Resources
Police CPI Governance
We have a governance board which includes senior police officers from England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, and as Directors with successful careers across a wide range of disciplines in the private sector, who control and direct the work we carry out on behalf of the Police Service.
Board Chair: Gavin Stephens QPM, Chair of the National Police Chiefs' Council (NPCC)
- Robin Merrett: Head of Operational Oversight, MOPAC; former Assistant Chief Constable of Sussex
- Guy Ferguson: Chief Executive Officer, Police CPI; former Detective Chief Superintendent Metropolitan Police Service
- Serena Kennedy: Chief Constable of Merseyside & NPCC Prevention Lead
- Stephen Watson: Chief Constable of Greater Manchester Police
- Angela McLaren: Commissioner at the City of London Police
- Lesley Robinson: Chief Executive Officer, British Marine
- Rosemary Scully: Company Director, former lead partner at KPMG with responsibility for policing and home affairs
- Pam Kelly: Chief Constable of Gwent
- Gary Ritchie: Assistant Chief Constable Police Scotland
- Mark McEwan: Assistant Chief Constable of Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI)